A Hard Place

We have been here for two months and we have one more month to go. Lately I've been feeling emotionally drained. There is so much suffering, pain, and brokenness here that we encounter everyday. One of the little girls this week told us she has been raped, luckily we already know about her story and our staff at Hard Places has been working hard to get her into a safe home. I saw a man beating his 3 year old child with a stick and there was nothing I could do about it. We consistently see older men (40s-60s) with younger Khmer girls (12-20s) at restaurants we eat at, we all know what is going on there.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
    neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so are my ways higher than your ways
    and my thoughts than your thoughts." -Isaiah 55:8-9


This verse has been an incredible comfort lately. Here, God tells us, that His ways and thoughts are so far above and beyond ours that we cannot understand them fully.  I am grateful I trust a God who is so much bigger than all the brokenness here on earth. God continues to remind me of His Sovereignty. None of this is out of His hands or too big for Him. He is in complete control. I trust in His promises that all the suffering we experience will be nothing when we meet God face to face and know His glory (Romans 8). There are things I don't understand and question, but when I look at God, I feel peace. Though I trust God's promises, it is still so hard to see all of this injustice going on. I think this month will be a month of growth because I am so dependent on God. My own strength is gone and I have no other choice but to trust in God. And this is a very good place to be. Hard, but really really good. 

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." -Matthew 11:28-29

Comments

  1. Prayers for you Gretchen. You are doing incredible work, and I know your presence makes a difference to those children! Thank you for sharing those verses! Hang in there.

    -Miriam

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Our Story of Miscarriage

Our Journey so Far...